Monday, January 5, 2009

Instead of being a responsible senior in college, I've started a blog...

So, I used to have a Xanga, and then a livejournal, and now I'm here. I've created this blog using my new gmail account, mainly to lie to myself and pretend that I'm an adult. In the past, I've used these online journals to mainly complain about my life. While I can't promise that I won't complain, I'm going to try and gear what I write here towards what I like to call " constructive complaining."
It's winter break. Most likely my last winter break for a while. It terrifies me that the next time I'm in Suffern I will be a college graduate. Where will I be living? Israel? D.C.? Boston? NYC? California? Some third world country? Who knows. Will I find a job? Will I be able to pay for housing? I want to travel the world, go on crazy adventures figuring out my Jewish identity. College has taught me that labels don't really work. Can a Reform Jew be shomer shabbat and keep kosher? I want to be able to say "yes." I guess my real question is, if I choose that lifestyle, am I going to be able to find a reform community that shares those values? Can I be Reform Rabbi and serve a congregation that has totally different ideas on what it means to be observant?
It was probably a bad idea to start this blog after midnight. Now the wheels are turning...

No comments:

Post a Comment