Monday, November 9, 2009

Finding my passion

I haven't really felt the strong desire to be involved in Reform programming since I graduated from high school. This past weekend was the URJ Biennial, the Reform Movement's family reunion, which happens every other year. Working in an intense Jewish environment, I have times where I feel burnt out. I definitely could have used a Biennial experience to recharge me, and remind me that I am a part of something bigger. It's very easy to forget that there is a world beyond the green gates. I went to Biennial in Minnesota in high school as a NFTY participant. In college, I went to Houston and San Diego for Biennial. I was very lucky. In college a few special people made it so I could afford to attend. Now that I'm out of college, Biennial is ridiculously expensive. I also couldn't take off that much time from work. It leaves me wondering, how else can I recharge myself? Sometimes, if I just take a step back and breathe I remember what brought me here in the first place. Other times, I just need something more. I love Jewish conferences. I can't go to Biennial, limmud, or staff a NFTY event. It's almost vacation, and I have a feeling that I'm just going to be frustrated that I can't have the Jewish experiences I want while I'm there.
What do you do to keep yourself inspired? I'm open to suggestions...

1 comment: