Sunday, November 1, 2009

Lech Lecha

These ideas are a little scattered...I think I might come back and edit this when I'm more awake.

Go forth. In last weeks parsha, God tells Avraham to leave everything he knows. He leaves his home, family, and everything that is familiar to him. Each one of us is like Avraham. How many times have we felt the pull to just go? At only 23 years old, I can already think of several times I've felt the call to leave everything I know; my first summer away at sleep away camp, my decision to go to Binghamton and most recently my decision to come here to Greensboro.

Going away to Binghamton made me into the independent person I am today. My relationships that year and in the years to follow really tested my ability to trust others. I'm well aware that I have a hard time trusting other people. When I say trusting, I mean really trusting someone, and letting them into your life. While in Binghamton, I had a lot of friends, and a really great social circle. However, I chose to only let a few people really get to know me. I wish I could learn to be more open with others.

It's interesting being in a totally new place with a built in social group like AHA. For the most part, we are all really close. At first I thought that it was going to be like camp, and we would all become best friends after the first week on the job. In an intense environment like AHA, personal space and time becomes really important. Maybe that's why we're not as close as I envisioned? Or maybe it's just me? Have I not been open enough to get to know everyone, and let them into my life?

It's a scary thing to trust, and to let others see you for who you are. This journey of life is all about the relationships one has with others. Lech Lecha. Go Forth. May we all find the ability to open up and show our true colors to those we meet along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment