Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My summer...

I debated about what to do this summer for a while. At first, I wanted to go to Israel and study, but then my bank account gave me a reality check. Then, I thought that I wanted to apply to be the Director of Jewish Life at the new URJ sports camp opening at AHA. The process was going to take longer than I could wait, and once it seemed like I was going to be an AHA fellow for a second year, I wanted my vacation to be off campus. Then, I found the Brandeis Collegiate Institute (http://bci.ajula.edu/)- a highly subsidized three week retreat for Jewish adults to explore their Judaism through the arts in a pluralistic setting. Did I mention that it is in California?! The program is for people ages 18-26, so I knew that if I didn't do this now, I probably never would. As I started to explore the program I learned that several people involved with AHA worked and/or attended BCI at some point. A few weeks after I applied, I learned that I was accepted! I'm very excited to be a part of a pluralistic community and hopefully translate what I experience there back to my work at AHA next year.
I have one friend from Binghamton who has also been accepted, and I know two of the people on faculty. I'm looking forward to being able to share this experience with people from different parts of my life before AHA, and hopefully meet a lot more new people to learn from and grow with.
To clarify, I am not artistic. I can't draw, act, or dance. I also am not the type to embrace the great outdoors. All things I'll be expected to do this summer.
It will be good for me to do something a little out of my comfort zone...

No comments:

Post a Comment