Sunday, December 13, 2009

Kelly the Hebrew teacher

I am really passionate about education. Since Middle School when I became a madricha in my Hebrew School, I've found the task of passing on my heritage to others to be exciting, rewarding, and one of the most important things we as Jews should be doing.
This year, I decided to contact the local Reform Synagogue to see if their were any Hebrew tutoring positions open. After a few e-mail exchanges, a meeting and a phone call with the Rabbi, I found myself in the 6th grade boys classroom. Kelly, the Hebrew Teacher?
As scary as that sounds to you, it sounded even scarier to me. I had absolutely zero prior experience teaching in a formal setting. What was I getting myself into?
There is a reason why the grade is divided into two classes by gender. They are more than a handful on their own. When they get together, it's nearly impossible to do anything productive with them.
For the most part, I feel like I am really just a babysitter attempting to keep the kids focused on their task. Most can barely read Hebrew, and are just memorizing prayers. Isn't education more than just memorization? I imagine that, for a lot of these kids, the only Jewish Education they are getting is from attending Hebrew School. If this is so, they are only learning how to memorize prayers. How are they going to be able to grow into Jewish adults that understand the importance of building Jewish community?
A lot of these kids don't care. It really worries me. How do I make them care? How do I make sure that they find the desire to continue to explore their Jewish identity and heritage beyond the classroom?
I'm inclined to say that Jewish day schools are the answer. Obviously, this is not the answer to my 6th grade class...but in general, I think that is the answer to educate young Jews. On the other hand, I went to public school and I think I turned out okay...

3 comments:

  1. I think it's such a shame that Hebrew school doesn't get kids to be passionate about Judaism. The Hebrew school system needs a complete makeover. I don't know how exactly, but something needs to be done. Maybe pairing up with a Jewish day school and having a "pen pal" type relationship would work. That way, kids can see other kids the same age as them that are passionate about Judaism, and maybe even go over to their house for Shabbat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm teaching 2nd grade Hebrew for the 1st time and am quaking in my shoes since we're shifting from Sundays for an hour to Sundays for an hour & Weds for 2 hours starting in January. This is at a school that combines a Reform Temple and 2 Conservative shuls.


    Best of luck to you and Chappy Chanukkah!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hebrew school teaching can be depressing but also invigorating. Just think of the impact you can have if you can lead them in memorable learning experiences! My advice to you is to spend some time online to find a)a network of supportive Jewish educators b) innovative classroom materials

    B'hatzlacha,
    Twitter @lookstein

    ReplyDelete