Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sometimes, my friends make me feel like an underachiever

I have amazing friends who do amazing things. I always talk about how I want to change the world. At this point in my life, I feel like sometimes I am just talk. What can I really do while working in a Jewish bubble? I do feel like I make in impact on individuals here at AHA, but beyond that, what am I really doing?
My friend Amy visited me last night. We met in 2006, and worked at Kutz together for two summers. It had been about two years since I've seen her. She got in around 3pm, and got a quick tour of the residential side of campus. After we dropped off her stuff in my room, we went over to Temple Emanuel where she watched me attempt to control my 6th grade class. Afterwards we went to really nice dinner and finally got to catch up. She leads the kind of life I would love to experience. She just spent the last year or so working at the Teva Learning Center. Next month, she is moving to Rwanda for a year. Yes, Rwanda. She is going with the JDC to volunteer at a boarding school for kids who lost parents in the genocide. What an incredible experience.
And I thought it was a big deal to move to Greensboro...
I've seriously been considering spending a year in Israel. I spend an abnormable amount of time researching every MASA sponsored Israel program, and find a new favorite every other day. I have a lot of conflicting thoughts about spending a year in Israel. How could I function in a country where English isn't the primary language (I know, almost everyone speaks English)? Would I be okay without the familiarity of friends nearby (after thinking about this, I actually think that I know more people in Israel than in Greensboro)? How would I financially support myself?
Something is pulling me in the direction of wanting to go. I'm just afraid of change, which I know is normal. I have a love for Israel, something I knew before I ever even visited. Now I want to explore the complexities of Israel, learn the language, eat the food, and live the history of the Jewish people.
Is it time?

3 comments:

  1. If not now, when? Think about it. Is it what you really want to do?

    There is NO WAY that possible I see you as an underachiever! To be a teacher of a student is really a terrific job. I believe that if you make a difference in just one persons life then you have changed the world! Yes, it is on a small scale of course, because there are many people who could really use a hand. However, you really couldn't help them all alone. So you start somewhere. You just have to keep taking those steps and trying to help whoever you can along the way.

    Personally, I have never been to Israel but I really want to go. I also feel that I have a connection that I really want to explore. Therefore, I can't say much about it.

    Change is scary, but it is also how you discover new things.It is when we learn to embrace opportunities and see how they fit you. It might be the best year of your life! Otherwise, you will have at least had the experience. If it is something you really want to do then you should do it because otherwise 20 years ago you may wonder, what would have happened if I had gone to Israel? I wouldn't worry at all about the language! If anything it will be great opportunity to be immersed in another language (which in my opinion is the best way to learn) Financial support will require you to look for work, but hey based on this economy how much harder can it be to find work in Israel?

    Anyways, good luck with your future studies! (whatever path you choose!) =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    I work for MASA and I came across your blog--I'd be happy to talk with you about any of the options in Israel and any questions you may have. I spent a year in Israel after high school and it was the best decision I could have made. Feel free to call us at (212) 339-6976 or email me at mirandab@masaisrael.org.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look into Pardes - http://www.pardes.org.il/

    ReplyDelete